AO Spine Europe and Southern Africa program 2022 – What You Should Know
The short-term fellowship program at AO Spine Europe & Sub-Saharan Africa (AOSESA), provides additional surgical experience for fully-trained orthopedic and neurosurgeons who are interested in spine surgery.
Application Deadline For AO Spine Europe and Southern Africa program:
30th June 2022
Eligibility: Candidates who are successful must meet these criteria:
- Be a member of AO Spine
- You can be a spine surgeon (or in-training but not less than the fourth year of residency in the specialty) or a specialist in trauma surgery or orthopedics with a strong interest.
- Learn English or the language spoken at the AO Spine Center.
- Complete the online application form with all required documents and submit it in good time (1-31 May).
- Participated in at least five hours of AO Spine education previously (including hands-on classes, seminars, Global Spine Congress, webinars, and local seminars).
- You have not been a recipient of an AO fellowship in the last three years (from when you submitted your application).
Eligible countries: All European and Southern African countries
To Be Considered (Country).
- Short-term fellowships can be offered at AO Spine certified Spine Centres. (further information on the AO spine website), namely in hospitals or clinics across the region.
- To increase their chances of acceptance, applicants must select and prioritize at least three Spine Centers. The final decision about the AO Spine Centre will be made based upon the number of applications received and the availability of the AO Center.
- A fellowship cannot be held in an AO Spine Center where a fellow is already employed, or in a hospital not certified as AO Spine Center.
No Specification of Number of Awards:
Award Value (AO Spine Europe and Southern Africa Program):
- A monthly AOSESA stipend is transferred to the fellow’s bank account at the beginning each month. Additional fees, such as. Additional fees (e.g., Western Union transfer) may be required to deduct the stipend. The stipend is
Calculated using the World Bank Purchasing Power Paraity to cover costs for food and accommodation in host countries. The fellow is responsible for all travel expenses.
- The fellow must submit financial documentation certifying the use of the grant, as well as educational feedback showing progress in the fellowship (her/his activities and the mentoring process) to be eligible for the monthly stipend. The grant may be terminated if the documentation is not complete or satisfactory.
- If hotel or family housing is needed, arrangements should be made privately by the individual (AO Spine won’t provide any assistance in arranging accommodation). These additional costs can be costly and AOSESA will not cover them.
Award Duration for AO Spine Europe and Southern Africa Program:
- AO Spine offers short-term fellowships ranging in length from 2 weeks to up to 3 years. 8 weeks. If the fellow wishes to complete a 12-week fellowship program, the additional 4 weeks must come from the fellow and be paid for by him/her.
How to Apply for AO Spine Europe and Southern Africa Program 2022
Send your application and all required documents to Apply here.
Before applying, it is crucial to read all requirements on the Award Webpage (see link below).
About The Award (AO Spine Europe and Southern Africa Program):
An AOSESA fellowship provides additional experience for neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons who are interested in spinal surgery. The host Spine Center is responsible for ensuring that fellows are familiar with the principles, indications, and techniques of spinal surgery. They also need to provide practical skills in general spinal practice. Fellows should be eager to learn about all aspects of the program provided by the host center.