DAAD Scholarship Research Grants – One-Year Grants for Doctoral Candidates– Under this category, DAAD sponsors international scholars: Graduates, Doctoral candidates/Ph.D. students, and Postdoctoral researchers to undertake studies and research projects in Germany. The main essence is to promote research projects within the context of doctoral programs.
Level of study: Graduates, Doctoral candidates/Ph.D. students, Postdoctoral researchers
Program Duration: 7 – 12 months (nonrenewable). The length is decided by a selection committee and it depends on the project and the work schedule of the applicant
Funding organization: DAAD
Study location: Germany
Language of instruction: German or English
Application Deadline: 31.12.2021 (country dependent)
Application Start date: Application starts six (6) weeks before the application deadline. However, it is wise to start preparing your application documents
First, I must say that the application process looks a bit cumbersome, but very straightforward if you are keen. Therefore, I advise that you take your time and prepare well for this application in other to successfully submit a competitive application and increase your chances of winning this prestigious grant! DAAD Scholarship Research Grants
Benefits (what the scholarship covers)
Tuition fee No tuition fee (free)
Monthly allowance for graduates €861
Monthly allowance for doctoral candidates €1200 Euro
Travel Allowance from home country to Germany Allowance (depends on country)
One-off research allowance ~ €500 (depend on the program)
Health insurance, accident, and personal liability insurance
And under certain circumstances, DAAD also provide additional benefits such as;
Study allowance (twice – at the beginning & ending of study) ~ €460
Monthly allowance for accompanying family members ~Spouse: €300, + €200/child
Monthly rent subsidy
Preparatory Language Course: DAAD sponsors a compulsory preparatory German language course of 6 months before the start of your study in Germany.
This is one of the various scholarship programs offered by DAAD, to study or carry out research in Germany. It is targeted at:
- Excellently qualified doctoral candidates and young academics and scientists holding a Master’s degree or equivalent at the latest by the start of their grant-supported research, or those who already completed a Ph.D. (postdocs)
- Doctoral candidates carrying out a full doctorate in Germany are not eligible for this scholarship
- What can be funded: A research project or course of continuing scientific education at a state or state-recognized institution or non-university research institute in Germany, which is been carried out in collaboration/coordination with an academic adviser in Germany.
Requirements and Prerequisites for DAAD Scholarship Research Grants
The typical applicant for this scholarship should:
- A good Bachelor’s and good Master’s degree in relevant field
- His/her Academic degrees should normally not be more than 6 years old (exceptions exist) before the application deadline.
- Doctoral students/candidates must not have started their degree longer than 3 years previously
- Must not have been residing in Germany for longer than 15 months at the application deadline
- For applicants from medical fields please read www.daad.de/extrainfo
- Language requirements
- This depends on the applicant’s study plan and subject:
- Proof of good English skills may be required or proof of good German skills
- Research plan/proposal
Eligible Countries for DAAD Scholarship: Doctoral Programs in Germany
Under this category of Development-Related Postgraduate Courses, offered by DAAD, applicants must come from one of the following countries: click here
|Albania||Congo, Democrat Republic||Hong Kong (CN)||Moldova||Sierra Leone|
|Antigua and Barbuda||Croatia||Iran||Morocco||Somalia|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||Ethiopia||Latvia||Paraguay||Togo|
|Botswana||Finland||Lebanon||Peru||Trinidad and Tobago|
|Cape Verde||Greece||Macao (CN)||Saint Kitts and Navis||United Kindom|
|Central African Republic||Grenada||Madagascar||Saint Lucia||United States of America|
|Chad||Guatemala||Malawi||Saint Vincent and the Grenadine||Uruguay|
|China, PR||Guinea-Bissau||Malta||Sao Tome and Principe||Vatican City|
However, if your country is not on the list, you can still check the Over 190 different DAAD scholarship programs offered to scholars from different nationalities.
Courses Eligible for Funding: DAAD Scholarship Research Grants
Sponsorship is offered in the following fields:
- Language and Cultural Studies
- Law, Economics and Social Sciences
- Mathematics/Natural Sciences
- Veterinary Medicine/Agriculture, Forestry, and Nutritional Sciences
- Art, Music, Sport
Documents needed for DAAD scholarship application:
- To be Uploaded to DAAD Portal Online
- Online application form
- List of publications (max. 10 pages)
- Full curriculum vitae in tabular form (max. 3 pages)
- Research proposal, prepared and composed by you, and a description of previous research work (max. 10 pages in total). A proposal needs to have been discussed with a potential supervisor/academic adviser.
- Schedule of planned research work
- Letter confirming supervision by an academic adviser in Germany
- University degree certificate indicating final grade(s) (can be submitted later, if not available at the time of application, but must be submitted before the start of the grant)
- Copies of Academic Transcripts, incl. grading-scale
- Other documents that support your application. Eg.:
- Employment certificate, Internship certificate, etc
- German or English translation of documents (if documents are in other languages)
- proof of admission to a doctoral program at the home university (the university where you are currently carrying out your studies))
- Note: If due to Corona you are unable to provide a Language proficiency certificate, there is an exemption. Check here under “Current note”
- To be submitted by post:
- One recent reference/recommendation letter from a university teacher, which gives information about your qualification. Must have letterhead and hand-signed. No digital or scanned signature.
How to Apply and submit an application for Daad
- Step 1: Register in the DAAD portal (you can read notes on registration here)
- Step 2: Request references
- A template form is available in the DAAD portal in the section “Request reference”. Please send this form to your referee via email and ask that the completed reference form be returned to you in a sealed envelope for onward posting to DAAD.
- Step 3: Apply online in the DAAD portal (you can read notes on applying online here)
- Download and complete the online application form
- Prepare application documents
- Translate documents (if docs are not in English/German).
- Scan paper documents (except references) and save in PDF format.
- Upload completed application form and other application documents (only PDF format). Translations, where applicable, should be uploaded in addition to documents issued in the original language.
- Submit the uploaded application documents online.
- Step 4: Send application documents by post
- References must be sent in the unopened envelope to the application location. I.e the DAAD office in charge of your country
- IMPORTANT: Only complete applications are considered.
- Application Deadline: 31.12.2021 (country dependent)
- Application Starts: Application starts six (6) weeks before the application deadline
- For more details visit DAAD official site: One-Year Grants for Doctoral Candidates – DAAD
- Video of the step by step online application will be made available soon
DAAD Scholarship Research Grants – One-Year Grants for Doctoral Candidates
Written by Chukwuemeka L. Ihemaguba
Hello, Thank you for visiting and reading through the article.
My name is Chukwuemeka L. Ihemaguba, the founder and CEO of EuroAfConsults. Having completed my bachelor’s degree in Physics, Nigeria, I won a prestigious scholarship and proceeded to the University of Miskolc, Hungary, where I obtained my master’s degree in Materials Engineering with a Distinction. Thereafter, I moved to Ruhr University, Bochum, Germany for further studies, and I’m currently working at this university, as a research assistant at two different institutes: Laser Application Technology & High Entropy Shape Memory Alloys. I am passionate about helping international students achieve their goal of studying abroad, either on scholarship or self sponsorship, hence this platform was developed for this purpose…